Lately I have been seeing a lot of articles about "kids feel too much pressure to play sports" or "parents are making their kids play competitive sports" I wonder if all the people who have written those articles, ever stopped to wonder, " What if some kids DO want to play sports year round?" One of my older son's first words was ball. Before he was even 2 years old he enjoyed watching the golf channel and looking at golf magazines on his grandpa's lap. He would get his little red feet car, and pretend it was a golf cart, wear his big sisters pink flowered winter glove as his golf glove, and use her barbie house as a target for the golf hole. He took practice swings, without being told to. Playing sports was built into his DNA, the essence of who he is.
Karson started T-ball 3 months before he turned 3. He was still in diapers folks. Why did we start this so early you ask? Well, because in February he would be outside in the snow, hitting off a T and running pretend bases. THIS, my friends, is stuff you can't teach, it's the stuff that my son was born with.
When Hudson was born he wanted to do everything Karson did, but he had to work a little harder at it, and prove himself to well...himself. Hudson wants to be the best he can be. To me, that instills good work ethic for the future for every obstacle and trial they will surely face in their life. Now as parents, did we do everything perfect? No. We learned the hard way, that at 3 years old Hudson wasn't quite ready for T-Ball like big brother was, nor was he ready for fall soccer. Fast forward to when Hudson turned 5 and he was all in. Kids are different, which is what makes each and every one of them so unique.
We go to the park in February to practice hitting, pitching, catching pop flys. And it's not because my husband or I suggest it, it's the boys. They get the itch come February, they want the feel of the dirt beneath their cleats. We pack up the car with all the gear, fill up water bottles, snacks and drive to a park. I sit in the dug out while it rains, snows, or is blowing so much dirt in my face I can't see. My husband pitches to them, warms up their arms playing catch and his eyes shine with pride. My boys WANT to play sports. They WANT to practice. Do I feel like this is ruining their childhood? No, I do not. I feel it is helping them grow into characteristics they may not have learned otherwise. Some of those being; how to lose with dignity, how to win with grace. Listening to your coaches and respecting them. Treating your team mates and others with kindness.
This year Karson started on a new baseball team. His coaches always tell him to tell the umpires thank you at the end of each game, and we have taught Karson for years to say thank you to his coaches after each game. He has learned that if you are pitching and you beam a kid at the plate, you walk over to first base and ask him if he is okay. You cheer on your team mates when they are at bat, or in the field. You work together and you contribute to something that is more than just about you.
One thing about sports I find crucial is that it forces kids to believe in their abilities, and themselves. Kids want to make their parents happy, the coaches happy, impress their friends. And sometimes I feel like the kids put an immense amount of pressure on themselves. I am constantly saying to my kids, " I do not care if you strike out, I only care if you tried your best." I want them to understand I don't demand perfection, but I do appreciate effort, good attitude, and trying. I want them to have confidence, to believe in what they are capable of, and to also be humble.
Kids are resilient and so strong under pressure. I watch these boys, playing in their positions and standing at the plate, balls heading straight towards them and they know what to do, they are prepared. It is amazing to me. Sometimes we have slumps, and to get out of those slumps we change our habits, or we change what we are doing in our life. Karson was going through a hitting slump,. Every morning before he turned on the X Box or looked at his kindle, he put on his batting gloves went downstairs to the basement and did 50 practice swings off the T. Understanding we have to keep trying in the face of adversity and not giving up, is again something I feel will only strengthen kids into becoming good people of society.
Sunday afternoons it's " Dad, can you play catch with me?" or " Dad, lets set up the bases and work on pickles" This is all by my children's choice. Now I understand that there are those parents, that do expect certain things from their kids during sports, or that there are kids that DO feel pressured into sports and don't really want to play, and for them I hope those parents can see them, really see their kid and what that kid really wants.
But for me personally and my own situation, I am tired of society making me feel like a bad parent, because my kids play baseball basically year round, golf in the summer, and play basketball in the winter. This is what they want to do.
Do my kids do homework? Yes. Do they read 20 mins or more daily? Most the time,yes. Do they have other interests? Absolutley. Do I understand the odds of my kids becoming professional athletes are slim? Of course I do.
We love going to the zoo, bowling together as a family, camping, watching movies, playing Monopoly. My husband enjoys playing the XBox with them. Bottom line we are a well rounded family who really enjoys sports, and that's okay.
So I am pledging here and now that I don't care any more, if society thinks I am a bad parent who focuses on the wrong things and what not. I am proud of my kids and who they are on and off the field. Karson is cool under pressure, quiet, observant, kind and hard working. Hudson is vibrant, and outgoing, determined and strong. I want my kids to succeed in all things,and for me in this moment they are headed in the right direction and I couldn't be prouder.

No comments:
Post a Comment